Do you want to start a blog?
Are you confused about the blogging platform?
Every newbie bloggers have a question in mind – Blogger vs. WordPress.
It’s quite common to get lots of thoughts in mind while choosing the blogging platform. Every blogger before starting their blog searches a lot of things about the blogging platform to get the best version of it.
If you want to start a blog, you have two options for the blogging platform, either Blogger or WordPress. Apart from this, you can go to Tumblr.
In this tutorial, I am exploring the key differences between WordPress and Blogger.
Before starting, I would like to tell you two things about blogging platforms.
If you are blogging just for passion, then you can start your blog on Blogger to get a basic idea of blogging. Once you get enough knowledge, skills about blogging, then depending on the results, migrate your blog to WordPress.
If you want to start a career in blogging, then I recommend you to go for WordPress. WordPress is the best platform for bloggers having rich features.
Here, I am going to tell you about the features and pros, cons of two popular blogging platforms.
Blogger is a Google product, and everyone knows that Google is very strict about security. All the security related factors about the blog are managed by Google. It will not be easy for a hacker to breach the security of Google.
WordPress, it is a self-hosted blogging platform where we give our blog and all associated data to hosting provider. In this case, the hosting provider will take care of the security and all other factors. So, we have to choose the right and secure hosting to protect our blog.
In WordPress, you will get security plugins by using which you can make your blog more secure. In blogger, you don’t get any third-party plugins.
You can also go for VPS(Virtual Private Server). It is available at very cheap rates starting from $2.50/month. Currently, I am using Vultr VPS for my blog.
The VPS is unmanaged so every activity about the server you need to manage, similar to admin work. It is quite tricky for beginners to manage, but you can try it to get more experience.
Blogger does not support any third-party plugins, so it’s the limitation of it. WordPress allows us to use millions of third-party plugins. You can install any plugin from the WordPress plugin directory.
Plugins are developed to reduce the workload and adds more functionality to your blog with little effort. For each problem, WordPress has plugins in store.
You will get thousands of themes for both the platforms. If you want to buy a premium theme, then you can.
The default blogger themes are basic for a personal blog but in WordPress, you will get professional themes for the blog.
Currently, I am using the GeneratePress WordPress theme which is highly customization and fastest WordPress theme ever.
Moving your site from Blogger to a different platform is a complicated task. There is a significant risk that you will lose your search engine rankings, subscribers, and followers during the move. Even though the blogger allows you to export your content, your data will stay on Google’s servers for a very long time.
Using WordPress, you can migrate your site anywhere you want. You can migrate WordPress site to a new host, change the domain name, or even move your site to other content management systems.
Blogger is an entirely free blogging platform. You can have unlimited blogs on a single Google account until Google decides to charge for it. If you want then you can buy the domain name and map it to Blogger.
In WordPress, you need to buy the web hosting to host your blog. Along with the hosting, you will get all the packages like business email id, storage space, technical support, etc.
In WordPress, you will get instant support from the hosting provider, which is available 24*7. If you face any technical problem then hosting providers will quickly fix it. You can either call them or email or live chat, which is reasonable for you.
In Blogger, you will not get any technical support. If you have some queries, then you need to search for it on Google and fix it. As the blogger is a free platform we can not expect the support but we do use the blogger forum to get our query resolved.
In WordPress, you will get regular updates for Plugins, WordPress, and Themes itself. You should be up to date to use the new features.
In blogger, I have not seen new updates since long ago. Recently, Blogger has added new themes and also changed the user interface.
- Common blogging mistakes to avoid
- Things to be remembered while buying a Domain name
- How to map Godaddy domain name to blogger blog?
- Blogger is simple, easy to use as compared to WordPress.
- As a blogger is a Google product, you will get security.
- Blogger is an entirely free platform, but in the case of WordPress, you have to buy some services, features.
- In blogger, no third-party plugins available, but in the case of WordPress, there are lots of plugins available in the market.
- In Blogger, you will get to build integration of Adsense, Google Plus, and all other Google products.
- In blogger, you can store data up to 3GB, but in a self-hosted WordPress blog, you will get unlimited bandwidth depending on the hosting company and your plan.
- There are a limited number of controls available in blogger, but in WordPress, you can manage dashboard according to your need and lots of features available.
- The interface of WordPress is much better than blogger
- In blogger, your post is automatically linked to the Google search engine.
- You can create your professional email id in wordpress.org (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Some updates are releasing day by day in WordPress, but in blogger it’s rare.
If you want to be a professional blogger, then you can start your blog with WordPress. If you are blogging just for fun, passion then you can choose a blogger or WordPress which is suitable for you and consider the financial situation as well.
WordPress is an excellent platform for professional bloggers. Almost 33% of the websites are using WordPress.
You don’t need coding skills to become a blogger, but you must have writing skills and passionate about blogging.
- What skills required to become a professional blogger?
- How my blogging passion helped me to earn INR 1,00,000
Latest posts by Amit Kharbade (see all)
- How To Quickly Make Your Google Analytics CCPA Compliant? - July 30, 2020
- How to Create eye-catching Notification Bars for Your Website? - July 26, 2020
- How To Create an Engaging Multi-Page Form in WordPress? - July 12, 2020