Do you want to start a blog? Are you confused about the blogging platform? Every newbie bloggers have a question in mind – Blogger vs. WordPress?.
It’s quite common to get lots of thoughts in mind while choosing the blogging platform. Every blogger before starting their blog searches a lot of things about blogging platform to get the best version of it.
If you want to start a blog, you have two options for the blogging platform, either Blogger or WordPress. Apart from this, you can go for Tumblr.
In this tutorial, I am exploring the key differences between WordPress and Blogger.
Before starting, I would love to tell you two things about blogging.
If you are blogging just for passion, then you can start your blogging journey with Blogger to get a basic idea of blogging. Once you get enough knowledge, skills about blogging, then depending on the results, migrate your blog to WordPress.
If you want to start a career in blogging, then I recommend you to go for self-hosted WordPress. WordPress is the best platform for blogger having rich features.
Here, I am going to tell you about the features and pros, cons of two popular blogging platforms.
Blogger is a Google product, and everyone knows that Google is very strict about security measures. WordPress, it is a self-hosted blogging platform where we give our blog and all associated data to hosting provider. In this case, the hosting provider will take care of the security and all other factors. So, we have to choose the right and secure hosting to protect our blog.
I have started my blogging journey with Blogger, later on, I transferred my blog to Bluehost shared hosting. Most of the beginners start with the self-hosted shared hosting.
You can also go for VPS. It is available at very cheap rates starting from $2.50/month. I am using Vultr VPS for my blog. In the VPS everything you need to manage like server performance, speed, start, stop all the admin work you need to perform. It is quite tricky for beginners to the manager, but you can try it to get more experience.
Along with it, you will get security plugins in WordPress by using which you can make your blog more secure. In blogger, you don’t get any third party plugins.
Blogger does not support any third-party plugins, so it’s the limitation of it. WordPress allows us to use millions of third-party plugins. You can install any plugin from the WordPress plugin directory.
Plugins are developed to reduce the workload and adds more functionality to your blog with little efforts. For each problem, WordPress has plugins in store.
You will get thousands of themes for both the platforms. If you want to buy a premium theme, then you can. The theme installation process for both platforms is different. Blogger is easy as compared to WordPress.
For a blogger, you will get the XML file of theme which you need to import it to install the theme. In WordPress, you will get the ZIP file which you need to import. WordPress theme data size is more than Blogger as it contents lots of folder for different functionality.
Moving your site from Blogger to a different platform is a complicated task. There is a significant risk that you will lose your search engine rankings, subscribers, and followers during the move. Even though the blogger allows you to export your content, your data will stay on Google’s servers for a very long time.
Using WordPress, you can migrate your site anywhere you want. You can migrate WordPress site to a new host, change the domain name, or even move your site to other content management systems.
Blogger is an entirely free blogging platform. You can have unlimited blogs on a single Google account until Google decides to charge for it.
In WordPress, you need to buy the web hosting to host your blog. Along with the hosting, you will get all the package like business email id, storage space, technical support, etc.
In WordPress, you will get instant support from the hosting provider, which is available 24*7. If you face any technical problem then hosting providers will quickly fix it. You can either call them or email or live chat, which is reasonable for you.
In Blogger, you will not get any technical support. If you have some query, then you need to search for it on Google and fix it.
In WordPress, you will get regular updates for Plugins, WordPress, and Themes itself. You should be up to date to use the new features.
In blogger, I have not seen new updates since long ago.
- Common blogging mistakes to avoid
- Things to be remembered while buying a Domain name
- How to map Godaddy domain name to blogger blog?
- Blogger is simple, easy to use as compared to WordPress.
- As blogger is Google product, you will get security.
- Blogger is an entirely free platform, but in the case of WordPress, you have to buy some services, features.
- In blogger, no third-party plugins available, but in the case of WordPress, there are lots of plugins available in the market.
- In Blogger, you will get to build integration of Adsense, Google Plus, and all other Google products.
- In blogger, you can store data up to 3GB, but in self-hosted WordPress blog, you will get unlimited bandwidth depending on the hosting company and your plan.
- There are a limited number of controls available in blogger, but in WordPress, you can manage dashboard according to your need and lots of features available.
- The interface of WordPress is much better than blogger
- In blogger, your post is automatically linked to Google search engine.
- You can create your professional email id in wordpress.org([email protected]).
- Some updates are releasing day by day in WordPress, but in blogger it’s rare.
If you want to be a professional blogger, then can start your journey with WordPress. If you are blogging just for fun, passion then you can choose a blogger or WordPress which is suitable for you.
WordPress is an excellent platform for professional bloggers. Almost 16% of the websites are hosted on WordPress.
You don’t need coding skill to become a blogger, but you must have a writing skill.
Latest posts by Amit Kharbade (see all)
- Scroll Depth Tracking Using Google Analytics by MonsterInsights - July 20, 2019
- How To Fix Email Issues in WordPress With WP Mail SMTP Pro Plugin? - July 20, 2019
- How To Create A Signature Form In 3 Simple Steps? - July 13, 2019