Do you want to start a blog? Are you confused about the blog platform?
It’s quite common to get lots of thoughts in mind while choosing the blog platform.
Every newbie bloggers have a question in mind that Blogger vs WordPress?.
In this tutorial, I am just explaining, what is the difference between WordPress and Blogger. If you want to start the new blog, you have two options for blogging platform either Blogger or WordPress.
Keep it in mind below two points-
If you are blogging just for passion then you can start your blogging journey with Blogger to get a basic idea of blogging. Once you get enough knowledge, skills about blogging then depending on the results, migrate your blog to WordPress.
If you want to start a career in blogging, then I recommend you to go for self-hosted WordPress. Here, I am going to tell you about the features and pros, cons of two popular blogging platforms.
Blogger is Google product, and everyone knows that Google is very strict about security measures. WordPress, it is self-hosted blogging platform where we give our blog and all associated data to hosting provider. In this case, hosting provider will take care of the security and all other factors. So, we have to choose the right and secure hosting to protect our blog.
Most of the beginners, start with the shared hosting but I would recommend you to go for SSD VPS. It is available at very cheap rates starting from $2.50 per month. I am using Vultr VPS for my both blogs. In the VPS everything you need to manage like server performance, speed, start, stop all the admin work you need to perform. It is quite difficult for the beginners to the manager but you can try it to get more experience.
Along with it, you will get security plugins in WordPress by using which you can make your blog more secure. In blogger, you don’t get any third party plugins.
Blogger does not support any third-party plugins, so it’s the limitation of it. WordPress allows us to use millions of third-party plugins. You can install any type of plugin from the WordPress plugin directory.
Plugins are developed to reduce the workload and adds more functionality to your blog with little efforts. For each problem, WordPress has plugins in store.
You can check which Plugins we are using on this blog.
You will get a number of themes for both the platforms. If you want to buy a premium theme, then you can. Theme installation process for both platforms is different. Blogger is easy as compared to WordPress.
For a blogger, you will get the XML file which you need to import it to install the theme. In WordPress, you will get the ZIP file which you need to import. WordPress theme data size is more than Blogger as it contents lots of folder for different functionality.
Moving your site from Blogger to a different platform is a complicated task. There is a significant risk that you will lose your search engine rankings, subscribers, and followers during the move. Even though blogger allows you to export your content, your data will stay on Google’s servers for a very long time.
Using WordPress, you can move your site anywhere you want. You can migrate WordPress site to a new host, change the domain name, or even move your site to other content management systems.
Blogger is an entirely free blogging platform. For self-hosted WordPress, you need to buy the web hosting to host your site. Along with the hosting, you will get all the package like professional email id, storage space, technical support etc.
In WordPress, you will get instant support from hosting provider which is available 24*7. Hosting providers will quickly fix all the problems of the users. You can either call them or email or live chat which is reasonable for you. In blogger you will not get any support, if you have some query, then you need to search for it on Google and fix it.
In WordPress, you will get regular updates for Plugins, WordPress and Themes itself. You should be up to date to use the new features. In blogger, I have not seen new updates since long ago.
You will like this-
- Common blogging mistakes to avoid
- Things to be remembered while buying a Domain name
- How to map Godaddy domain name to blogger blog?
- Blogger is simple easy to use as compared to WordPress.
- As blogger is Google product, you will get security.
- Blogger is an entirely free platform, but in the case of WordPress, you have to buy some services, features.
- In blogger, no third-party plugins available but in the case of WordPress, there are lots of plugins available in the market.
- In Blogger, you will get to build integration of Adsense, Google Plus, and all other Google products.
- In blogger, you can store data up to 3GB, but in self-hosted WordPress blog, you will get unlimited bandwidth depending on the hosting company and your plan.
- There are a limited number of controls available in blogger, but in WordPress, you can manage dashboard according to your need and lots of features available.
- The interface of WordPress is much better than blogger
- In blogger, your post is automatically linked to Google search engine.
- You can create your professional email id in wordpress.org([email protected]).
- Some updates are releasing day by day in WordPress, but in blogger it’s rare.
If you want to be a professional blogger then start your journey with WordPress. If you are blogging just for fun, passion then you can choose blogger or WordPress which is suitable for you. WordPress is a great platform for professional bloggers. Almost 16% of websites are on WordPress.
You don’t need coding skill to become a blogger, but you must have writing skill.
Latest posts by Amit Kharbade (see all)
- How to change WordPress login URL using WPS hide login? - June 30, 2018
- How to configure web push notifications for WordPress blog using OneSignal? - June 29, 2018
- How to transfer domain from GoDaddy to Google Domains [no downtime]? - March 25, 2018